Cream of broccoli soup is a classic comfort food that is easy to make and packed with flavor. This soup is perfect for a cozy dinner on a chilly evening or as a starter for a dinner party. The creamy texture of this soup comes from blending the broccoli with heavy cream, creating a smooth and velvety texture that’s sure to please even the pickiest eaters.
To make cream of broccoli soup, start by sautéing chopped onions and garlic in butter until they are translucent. Then, add chopped broccoli and chicken or vegetable stock to the pot and bring it to a boil. Let the broccoli simmer until it’s tender, which should take around 10-15 minutes. Once the broccoli is cooked, remove the pot from the heat and blend the mixture until it’s smooth. Add a cup or two of heavy cream to the mixture and blend again until the soup is creamy and fully combined. Finally, season the soup with salt and pepper to taste, and serve it hot.
One of the great things about cream of broccoli soup is that it’s easy to customize. You can add different vegetables like carrots, potatoes, or celery to the soup for added flavor and texture. You can also add different herbs like thyme, basil, or parsley to add depth to the flavor profile. For a bit of crunch, top your cream of broccoli soup with croutons or fried onions.
Another benefit of cream of broccoli soup is its health benefits. Broccoli is a superfood that’s packed with vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. It’s also low in calories, making it a great choice for those who are watching their weight. By using heavy cream sparingly, you can still enjoy the creamy texture of this soup without consuming too much fat or calories.
In conclusion, cream of broccoli soup is a delicious and healthy comfort food that’s perfect for a cozy night in. It’s easy to make, and you can customize it to your liking. With its creamy texture and rich flavor, this soup is sure to become a family favorite. So the next time you’re in the mood for a warm and satisfying meal, give cream of broccoli soup a try!
How to Make Cream Of Broccoli Soup:
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- ground black pepper to taste
1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium stock pot over medium heat. Saute onion and celery until tender. Add broccoli and broth, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Alternately, you can use an immersion blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot.
3. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium to medium-low heat; stir in flour and add milk. Stir until thick and bubbly, and add to soup. Season with pepper and serve.
Leave a Comment